Reiseführer

Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz located in the eastern part of the island near the International Airport and by the sea. It’s a wonderful town with many attractions. In the centre of Santa Cruz is a beautiful historical Church; the Igreja Matriz built in the 16th Century. Down the street is Palmeiras Beach, a pebble beach very popular with locals and tourists in the summer and equipped with kids swimming pool, beach toys, trained lifeguards and first aid centre. Enjoy a wonderful walk along the promenade, bounded by palm trees and the sea. Don’t miss the nearby Santa Cruz Aqua Park built in 2004, with fantastic water slides swimming pools and lazy river; a wonderful place for a family to spen... Read more

Funchal

The settling of Madeira started in 1425. After its discovery, in 1419, the island was divided in two captaincies, being in charge of Funchal, João Gonçalves Zarco, where he resided with his family. The primitive little village, located on a gorgeous valley of natural trees, full of fennel till the sea, as the first chroniclers refer, was given the name of Funchal, rapidly  becoming the core population center of the Island. The best port and the mild weather together with an excellent  geographic position on the south coast - The most productive in the Island - allowed Funchal a rapid and blazing urban development, surpassing quickly the rest of the populations that  gravit... Read more

Câmara de Lobos

Câmara de Lobos is one of the most emblematic touristic places of Madeira Island, not only for its picturesque and majestic landscapes, but also the delicious gastronomy and traditions of honor. It is in the county of Câmara de Lobos that it is made the best meat skewer in laurel stick, the traditional “Poncha” (spirit drink) and the generous Madeira Wine. It is the fishing harbour of the black scabbard fish. It is the headquarters of some of the landscapes and locations that contribute the most to the dissemination of the natural beauty of this tourist destination that is Madeira, specifically the Cabo Girão, the Curral das Freiras, the Bay of Câmara de Lobos and the... Read more

Ribeira Brava

The origin of the name "Ribeira Brava" is due to their "ribeira" (a small river), which in times of heavy rains had a very strong flow, getting to the point of causing floodsmalong the eight kilometres of its route. Located on the southwest coast of Madeira, Ribeira Brava is one of the oldest places in the island. This town, due to its topography, has had a very important role in communications between all points of the island. It started to populate at the beginning of the fifteenth century, between the first and the second quarter. Was one of the first parishes of the island, soon created in the aftermath of Funchal and Machico, shortly after the death of prince Henry, in ... Read more

São Vicente

The county of São Vicente is bordered to the east by the county of Santana, to the south by the counties of Câmara de Lobos, Calheta, Ribeira Brava and Ponta do Sol, on the west by the county of Porto Moniz and to the north by the Atlantic Ocean. The climate type is oceanic, with mild temperatures throughout the year, despite the higher rainfall in comparison with the southern slope of the island, reaching average temperatures of 24ºC in the summer, and 17ºC in the winter. The main activities of the county are agriculture, particularly viticulture, and the services related to tourism, such as hospitality and catering industry. As for the history, we know that the north... Read more

Ponta do Sol

Situated 18 Km from Funchal, Ponta do Sol is the headquarters of the district. Located in the south coast of Madeira Island, it is limited to the west by the district of Calheta, to north by the districts of São Vicente and Porto Moniz, and to the east by the district of Ribeira Brava. It´s name comes to light as a resulft of Gaspar Frutuoso referring that in 1420, João Gonçalves Zarco, "hit a tip" that runed into the sea, and that sighted a rock which so polished it was from the water hiting it, made it so that it looked  lit by the sunshine rays. The extension of this county was reduced over the years. In 1511, with the creation of Vila da Calheta and in 1914 a... Read more

Santana

Created in 1832 and installed in 1835, the county of Santana has been extinguished by the Decree of 10 December 1867. This momentary extinction of the county meant that the parishes of Faial and São Roque do Faial passed to the county of Machico and the parishes of Arco de São Jorge and São Jorge to the county of São Vicente. The first President known of Santana was a councillor of the Municipal council of Machico and the first administrator, since 1848, Captain Louis Acciaioly. Initially the municipality of Santana was composed by the parishes of Arco de São Jorge, São Jorge, Santana, Faial, São Roque do Faial and Porto da Cruz. The last parish that was mentioned, has... Read more

Porto Moniz

Porto Moniz was first colonized at the beginning of the last quarter of the 15th century. Francisco Moniz is referred to as one of these first settlers, who had uncultivated lands in this area and was responsible for establishing a farm and a chapel. He was a nobleman from Algarve, who married Filipa da Câmara (daughter of Garcia Rodrigues da Câmara). He was one of the sons of João Gonçalves Zarco, one of the discovereres of Porto Santo (1418) and later (1419) the island of Madeira. The municipality was created on 31 October 1835, but was quickly abolished and reestablished successively in 1849-1855, 1867-1871 and again in 1895-1898. Porto Moniz features a natural comp... Read more

Machico

Located on the east coast of Madeira Island, approximately 22 km from Funchal, this municipality has a great historical significance. It was here that Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira disembarked, in 1419, when they discovered Madeira. Machico became town on 2nd August 1996 and has about 20,000 inhabitants distributed among its 68 km2. Legend has it that already a century before this discovery, Robert Machim and Anna d'Arfet had found refuge here. The distortion of the name Machim resulted in the name of this city. The bay of Machico invites for a walk amidst the amazing view over sea and land. To the east of the Machico valley is the Pico do Facho Belvedere, f... Read more

Calheta

Calheta, “the fertile land”, had its name from the narrow inlet that serves as its harbour. In fact, that is what Calheta actually means: narrow inlet. The name was given by the discoverers that first arrived there. The parish of Calheta is characterised by being squeezed by high mountains, while at the same time embracing the sea. A fine yellow Moroccan sand artificial beach built here is an ideal place for fun and relaxation for families with children. Lounging chairs and umbrellas may be rented right on the beach. There are many facilities surrounding Calheta beach such as a bar, changing rooms, showers and a marina (with many stores and restaurants). Calheta was o... Read more

Top destinations

Calheta