Located on the east coast of Madeira Island, approximately 22 km from Funchal, this municipality has a great historical significance.
It was here that Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira disembarked, in 1419, when they discovered Madeira.
Machico became town on 2nd August 1996 and has about 20,000 inhabitants distributed among its 68 km2.
Legend has it that already a century before this discovery, Robert Machim and Anna d'Arfet had found refuge here. The distortion of the name Machim resulted in the name of this city.
The bay of Machico invites for a walk amidst the amazing view over sea and land. To the east of the Machico valley is the Pico do Facho Belvedere, from where you can admire the panoramic views from the peaks of the central area of the island up to the Ponta de São Lourenço.
The Banda d'Além beach, in the bay of Machico, is about 125 meters long and 70 meters wide. This beach is distinguished for its yellow sand, imported from Morocco.
Five parishes make up this municipality: Água de Pena, Caniçal, Machico, Porto da Cruz and Santo António da Serra.